“Setting the Example”: This is the foundational “Presence Principle”
Whether you know it; whether you like it or not: You are a Role Model!
More leadership responsibility means:
- A bigger spotlight on you…
- And less personal freedom
People are always watching you; even when they aren’t “looking” at you.
Perception is Reality
- You must be constantly aware of how you are being perceived…
- If you’re perceived to be a thief…then you’re a thief (even though you’ve never stolen anything in your life).
- Facts are your friends…but sometimes they just don’t matter.
- It’s best to avoid faulty perceptions all together.
- Become “maniacally” aware of how you are coming across.
Attention to Detail:
- The little things matters
- It can immediately set you apart from the everyday mediocre; it will be noticed.
- Intentionality & Awareness
Avoid appearing managerial:
- You don’t like how the toilet is being cleaned? Then get down on you knees and actively show how you want it to be cleaned.
- Actively lead on how you want things to be!
- You don’t do the work for them; but you must be willing to set the example to drive home expectations.
Setting the Example is simply doing the right thing even when no one is looking.