326 – Become a Decision Maker

Making “sound & timely” decisions is a hallmark of being a transformative leaders.

You’re better off making imperfect timely decisions than making a “perfect” decision too late.

The 75% Solution: Be prepared to make a decision once you have 75% of all the information..use your experience & intuition to fill in the other 25%.

Becoming a “decision maker” is the game changer in leadership, and sorely needed.

The Marine Corps philosophy is centered around making “sound & timely” decisions.

To make sound & timely decisions you have to: Know your mission, capabilities, methods, & obstacles.

But the “timeliness” part of decision making is just as important as the “soundness” of the decision.

Historically speaking, timely “inferior” decisions produced more victories than delayed theoretical “perfect” decisions.

Your goal is to become a competent leaders who can make rapid decisions under extreme pressure & duress.

Makes perfect sense in a combat environment and for your everyday “chaos” too.

Life & business is generally chaotic, therefore rapid decision making can benefit us too.

Historically we have been taught to do “analytical decision making”

We are supposed to gather facts, weigh options, & maximize outcomes. This is actually time consuming & cumbersome.
“Intuitive” decision making is actually more practical & common place. 90% of most decisions are made intuitively instead of analytically. Leaders should embrace intuitive decision making.

Failure to make a decision is more damaging than making a “poor” decisions.

The OODA Loop Principle (How to make rapid decisions) Observation, Orientation, Decision, Action

Applies with any two-sided confrontation.

Rapid decision making demands we understand this cyclical process.

If you can navigate the loop faster than your opponent/competition you will always come out ahead.

Tempo & Momentum is affected directly by you ability to make decisions The goal is to get your OODA loop as tight as possible.

But it’s all about “relative” speed, not “absolute” speed.

Multiple rapid, possibly inferior, decisions are superior to slow “perfect” decisions.

You are already making constant “OODA Loop” decisions already.

Now it’s being aware of the presence of them and committing to working inside of them.

The intentional & aggressive conscious application of OODA loops gives leaders the advantage.

Leave a Reply