Earl is a former active duty United States Marine with 25 years of experience as a leader and manager. In that time, he has coached and mentored hundreds from the military, civilian federal service, and private sectors.
Earl blends personal experiences with researched knowledge and recorded history to make his point that the need to be led is one that has existed since mankind began forming tribes.
A strong point of Earl’s is that he speaks with the audience, not to the audience. He thrives on questions and interactions. His talks are structured but not scripted.
Earl’s business is called The Leadership Phalanx where they draw a great deal of their philosophy and material from Spartan history and Spartan related stories like Steven Pressfield’s Gates of Fire. But, all history is on the table.
They have created “The 11 Sheilds of Leadership Behavior” which we explore deeply in this episode. The behaviors are:
- You Are Always On Display
- Introspection & Improvement
- Build Relationships and Look Out For Your People
- Be Rational and Decisive
- Be a Power Broker, Information is power
- Train how you want to perform
- Play to your team’s strengths
- Define success, empower team members, achieve results
- Create an environment of success
- Look for opportunities and own the outcomes
- Stay technically and tactically relevant
The Burden of Command is a leadership and personal development podcast. Earl interviews some of the best minds in the business, share some stories from history that have lessons to share and help you grow yourself and your teams along the way.