Nick Sarillo is the founder, CEO and “primary keeper” of the Purpose and Operational Vales of Nick’s Pizza & Pub – the sixth busiest independent pizza company in per-store sales in the United States. Founded with the purpose of providing the community with an unforgettable place where families could relax and have fun, Nick’s Pizza & Pub has margins nearly twice that of the average pizza restaurant and boasts an 80 percent employee retention rate in an industry in which the average annual turnover is nearly 150 percent. Nick credits his company’s success to his purpose-driven culture, which is the focus of his new book, A Slice of the Pie: How to Build a Big Little Business (Portfolio; 2012). Nick is a regular speaker at entrepreneurship and HR conferences, and his insights have been featured in The New York Times, The Economist, Inc., Fast Company and Investor’s Business Daily.
Bottom line is we need more entrepreneurs like Nick. He leads from the heart, believes all of us can change the world, and has been creating a legacy of leaders through his “purpose driven culture”.
Highlights from this Podcast:
- The old “Command & Control” style of leadership is outdated and outmoded; it’s all about creating a “Purpose Driven Culture”.
- Learn how Nick developed a passion for creating a family oriented restaurant and how he transformed as a leader.
- Learn how Nick created a less than 20% turnover rate in a culture that historically averages over 150%
- Learn how “dignity & respect” is a cornerstone value that helped transform his culture.
- Learn how Nick values “transparency” and how it is essential to building a culture of trust.